Sunday 6 July 2014

Why I'm running the Race for Life.

Hi guys! I hope you've all been well and enjoying the sunshine! I just thought I'd take the opportunity to let you know why I've opted in to run the Race for Life next Saturday. There are so many people who take part in the race, each with their own stories. Some are fighting, some are survivors, others are running in memory or in support of a family member or friend and others just fancy a jog for a good cause. I fall into the "running in memory" category. 

On the 13th February earlier this year I lost somebody who I had become extremely close to. Her name was Sue and she was (and still is) absolutely fabulous.

Sue was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 or so years ago and went for a double mastectomy within 3 weeks of finding out (she was a brave one). Through chemo and her reconstruction she stayed strong and continued to do so when they found that she had lung metastasis and later on, brain metastasis. For those who don't do Biology, the long word beginning with 'm' means cancer had spread. After spending Christmas day with us her health took a steady drop, seeing her extremely ill in her last week with us. It was during that week that I promised her I would do the Race for Life. On 13th February, with myself, my Dad, Sue's brother and her best friend around her, Sue beat the cancer in the only way she could. She is still with us everyday and her laugh is unforgettable.

My story is probably similar to many others but the person is so unique and close to my heart. I just want to share with you a couple of bits from my speech at Sue's funeral...
"Sue was one of those people you look at and say "I want to be just like her." She was strong-willed, brave, caring, always had a smile on her face and never failed to put one on mine. I feel extremely privileged to have been able to meet, spend time with and know such a strong lady. Sue has made an impact on each and every one of us and our memories shall continue to do so."

Now, let's get one thing straight. Even though I try, I'm not good at sport. Nor am I very fit. So why on earth would I try and do this? Part of it is trying to understand how Sue felt and how she kept going through the pain that she experienced (because ouch, this is gonna hurt). It's about being a stubborn as her and fighting 'til the end. Running this race is not just a fun thing I decided to opt for - it means so much more than that (oh crap, I have that lump in my throat...). I am running symbolise her battle and victory. I am running to celebrate her life and I will do so with as many smiles as I can between trying to keep from falling over. Not only that, but I am running to make her laugh at how ridiculous (aaaand here are the tears...) wearing pink camouflage leggings, army crawling through a giant paddling pool of mud and through a maze of ropes. Honestly, she'd be in hysterics! I hope that she'll be proud of me as I try my hardest to get through it with my terrible stamina and shocking(ly bad) running distances - especially if there are hills. 

Firstly, thank you for reading this. I just wanted people to know my reason to run this race and why it is so important to me.
Secondly, I am running next Saturday (12th July). If anybody would like to come, please message me and I will tell you where it is. 
Thirdly, if you would like to sponsor me you can give the money to me in person or head to my JustGiving website (click here). Please don't feel like you need to sponsor me a lot - £1 or even a penny would be gratefully received. 
Lastly, as normal you can comment, share and do whatever. The last post I put up got something like 110 pageviews which was amazing! I couldn't have done it without you. 

Goodnight!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoyed this blog post! Please post your thoughts here - I love knowing what people think about what I write!